Thursday, November 15, 2012

Blackberry + Beaujolais



  • If you are making this today, hoorah! Go get some Beaujolais Nouveau and put it to good use. If it is not currently today, choose any red wine that you vaguely trust.
  • Pour some into a pan with some blackberries and sugar, a cinnamon stick and a slice or two of orange peel.
  • Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for ten minutes, until the sugar thickens the wine a little. Taste and adjust sugar.
  • Serve with vanilla ice cream.
  • Swoon.

What did it taste like? Divine! Sweet and sharp, hot and cold - this is the easiest soup I've made so far and an impressive, elegant dessert. I pretty much lifted the idea directly from the Covent Garden Book of Soups, a birthday gift from my friend David (or as I like to refer to him, 'my readers'), where Avril O'Reilly shares her mum's recipe (a teetotaller who is apparently OK with booze in food and attempts this at any opportunity), though I changed the wine to honour today's sortie du Beaujolais Nouveau.

Tips:
  1. Avril recommends Häagen Dazs ice cream which melts much slower. I did not have this in my supermarket so went with the poshest one I could find. I was happy because it tasted like milky bars.
  2. Hold back a few blackberries from the molten wine to make the dish look pretty at the end.
  3. Try and find some Beaujolais bread to eat before, to complete your Beaujolais meal (this is basically an empty suggestion since it is highly unlikely you will find any; I am probably just trying to make you jealous). I found this lovely pink bread at the bakery near my office - made with wine, hazelnuts and Rosette (a peppery saussicon from Lyon). Yes! Meat baked into the bread, look!

2 comments:

  1. Hey,
    this ones looks REEEEEEally good.
    I am gonna test it during Christmas break and le you know then if it IS that good :)
    Thomas (guy who stays until the end of your friday drinks !!! :))
    C yu
    thomy4500@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! And so easy. Let me know how it goes.

      Delete