Saturday, June 9, 2012

African peanut soup


  • Chopped onion, grated ginger and some spices get sautéed in the pan. I used garam masala, though I don't know how African that is. 
  • Diced red pepper and white cabbage go in with grated garlic.
  • Add a can of chopped tomatoes, and season with salt and sugar
  • Add a little vegetable stock and a big ol' tablespoon of peanut butter. Mix well.
  • I added a little green chili.
  • Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for as long as you wish. I think thirty minutes would do, but I left it for a good hour on a low heat. 
  • When you're happy (with the soup, not in life), whiz it partially.
  • Serve with some chopped red pepper and cabbage, and crushed peanuts.

What did it taste like? Deeply nutty, creamy, spicy and slightly sweet. I don't know if it tasted authentic, but it sure tasted good. The crunch from the topping was lovely against the softness of the cooked veggies.

Tips:
  1. Make sure your peanut butter is mixed in well, otherwise it will drop to the bottom of the pan and burn. You may wish to add it later if you are going to simmer for a while.
  2. I used organic peanut butter with one ingredient only (peanuts). I have the rest in my fridge if anyone wants to come round and take it, I'm not really a peanut butter person.
  3. For me, it was essential to use sugar with the peanuts, but play around with the seasoning and see what tastes best to you. Use chili flakes or cayenne pepper at the vegetable stage if you wish. I only had fresh chili (I just lied - I have a pot of tiny chilis in my freezer (they were fresh when I froze them)).
  4. Many other recipes use curry powder but this is against my religion hence the garam masala. 
  5. Other vegetables which could be good: sweet potato, chickpeas, coconut milk (the latter of course, not strictly being a vegetable).

No comments:

Post a Comment