Saturday, April 7, 2012

Cauliflower cheese + chive


  • Put some butter in a big saucepan.
  • Is that it? Come on, put some more.
  • Add a roughly chopped onion and some garlic. Sweat, don't colour.
  • Add some potato, then water, bring to the boil. Simmer for ten. Now, pop in a whole chopped cauliflower. Don't worry if everything is not completely covered but put a lid on if the cauliflower is trying to raise his head above the water. Sometimes you've got to be cruel to be kind.
  • When everything is cooked, whiz, adding salt, white pepper and a little water/milk/cream to achieve desired consistency/calories.
  • Add cheese in vast quantities. My dearest Cheddar was not returning my calls so I used Vieux Gouda and Cantal. Stir in until melted. Lick the spoon.
  • Sprinkle gratuitously with grated cheese and chives and serve with crusty baguette and butter for your ultimate contentment.

What did it taste like? Cauliflower cheese! Which I had not had for many years and was as comforting and tasty as I remember. Perfect for a cool, cloudy day when my little flat would just not warm up.

Tip: Check the cheese is delicious by eating small quantities during the course of the soup-making process.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds simple and tasty. Not a big fan of cauliflower but love it with cheese so this sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so making this. However, excuse my ignorance but what is sweat vs colour?

    ReplyDelete